DE-addiction Centre was started during the year 2004 with the help of Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, New Delhi. Addict is one whose drinking or drug taking leads to continuing problems in one or more areas of life (Health, Family Relationships, Job, Finance) and who despite these problems continues to take it and feels totally helpless. The main purpose of this project includes creating awareness, early identification treatment and rehabilitation and sustained follow up care.
OBJECTIVES of Deaddition Centre
- To improve the life style, effecting positive changes in the attitude and behaviour of the individual.
- To create awaraeness about the problems of alcohol drug HIV/AIDS.
- To educate the people about the ill effects of alcoholism and substances abuse on the individual, the family and society at large.
- To create awareness about the problems associated with drinking among the rural public and transforming the community into an enabling force to combat alcoholism.
Counselling Related to De addiction:
Counselling is an important aspect of a structured addiction treatment programme. Counselling session offer an opportunity for the client to work on his individual problems and develop a plan to meet the client specific needs.Counselling related to Individual counseling, Family counseling and Group counseling following three areas are organized
Counselling is a process that goes through five stages of the family and the clients,
1. Developing a therapeutic relationship
2. Exploring problem areas
3. Setting goals
4. Maintaining changes and
About 9 sessions are covered in this De addiction centre.
Session I - Getting to know the client
Session II - Childhood and adolescence history
Session III - Drinking history
Session IV - Meeting the family
Session V - Occupational therapy
Session VI - Financial history
Session VII - Marital history
Session VIII -Discharge of the client
Treatment provided at the Centre:
a. Medical treatment (Detoxification for 3-7 days)
- Helping the patient overcome withdrawal symptoms like fits, sleeplessness and severe pain which may set in when he gives up alcohol/drug.
- Dealing with associated physical problems like gastritis, neuritis, depression, malnutrition etc.
- Providing appropriate medication to help the patient get back to normal eating and sleeping pattern.
b. Psychological therapy for 25 days
This helps him to
- Understand that addiction is a disease; recognize the need and ways by which he can stay off alcohol/drugs.
- Recognize the damage caused by addiction and make positive changes in his life style.
Psychological therapy programme includes lecture, group therapy, individual counselling, Family Counselling session and SHG Meetings.
c. Follow-up ( 2 years)
The patients and family members need to be in touch with the treatment centre for two years after completion of treatment. This ensures that recovery takes place smoothly and problems that arise are handled in a timely manner. During follow up, the patient meets the Doctor to discuss medical problems if any and review medications.
During this year, we have provided treatment for 200 persons. About 192 patients enrolled were Alcohol Addicts, 1 is Alcohol and Drug Addicts, 2 were Ganja Addicts, 5 were both Alcohol and Ganja Consumption Addicts. Out of the 200 patients treated in our centre, 185 cases were successfully treated, 7 cases relapsed, 7 cases discontinued and 1 case referred for HIV/AIDS treatment.